In response to a coup d’état in Burma that began on the morning of 1 February 2021, the Chin Baptist Churches USA formed the Peace and Justice Committee (formerly known as the Chin Advocacy Committee (CAC)) in February 2021. The Chin Baptist Churches USA—a Baptist denomination in the U.S.—is comprised of over 100 Baptist churches Scattered across the United States.
The Peace and Justice Committee (PJC) serves as an official political entity of the Chin Baptist Churches USA by representing the constituent churches of the denomination for the advocacy of peace and justice for the people of Burma. We are convinced that we cannot remain silent in the face of injustices in Burma!
We, therefore, endeavor to be an instrument in service for the people of Burma by identifying current political and national crises in Burma and then bringing the issues to the attention of the U.S. government and international communities. We advocate and promote the interests of the Chin people of Burma so that the voice of the people of Burma will be heard internationally. PJC calls and stands for peace and justice in Burma.
The Peace and Justice Committee has been advocating the interests of the Chin people to the U.S. Congress and various agencies within the U.S. Administration (including the Bureau of Population, Refugees and Migration, the Office of International Religious Freedom, the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom, and the USAID), as well as, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees regarding refugees from Burma who are taking refuge in neighboring countries including Mizoram State in India.
Peace and Justice Committee exists to promote peace and pursue justice for the Chin people as a step toward building a federal, democratic union in Burma.
The mission of Peace and Justice Committee is to advocate internationally for reconciliation, religious freedom, and human rights in accordance with democratic principles on behalf of the Chin and wider communities in Burma.
To that end, PJC will take initiatives to advocate for the cause of peace and justice in Burma as follows:
- Promote peace via the spirit of national reconciliation, dialogue, and negotiation
- Pursue justice regarding religious freedom, equality, and human rights
- Bring the voice of Chin people to the attention of the U.S. government and international communities
- Advocate for the formation of the interim Chin government
- Advocate for the internally displaced peoples in Chin State and beyond
- Advocate for National Unity Government (NUG) of Myanmar
- Condemn all violence and human rights abuses by the junta military who commits crimes against humanity, war crimes, and genocide in Burma
Promote Peace, Pursue Justice
(Psalm 85:10b – justice and peace have kissed each other)